南外宗正司遗址
Why did members of the Song ruling family settle in a commercial port?
The Southern Clan Office administered members of the Song imperial family who relocated to Quanzhou from 1130 onward. The site lies southwest of the old Suqing Gate and south of Kaiyuan Temple, placing an imperial institution inside the same city that hosted overseas merchants, workshops and religious communities.
Excavations have found two building foundations, retaining walls, a road beside a pond, roof tiles, ridge ornaments, bricks and ceramics. Some bricks carry the character guan, meaning government. Ink inscriptions on porcelain include cyclical dates and institutional or personal names, clues that connect objects to the office and its residents.
Historian Hugh Clark notes that Quanzhou's wealth attracted the displaced branch of the imperial clan, whose support depended heavily on public resources. John Chaffee goes further, examining how clansmen affected appointments, patronage, landholding and overseas trade. The site therefore links dynastic politics to the port economy rather than treating them as separate worlds.