顺济桥遗址
Can a broken bridge still explain how the city worked?
Shunji Bridge was built in 1211 under Quanzhou governor Zou Yinglong. It crossed the Jin River immediately outside Deji Gate and took its name from nearby Shunji Temple, now Tianhou Temple. The bridge served the main route between the commercial city and the river's south bank.
Historical records describe a crossing more than 150 zhang long, about 1.4 zhang wide and supported on 31 piers. Builders used raft foundations related to the methods at Luoyang Bridge: stone was spread across the riverbed, slabs were laid in crossing layers to form piers and stone beams carried the deck.
Only portions of deck and 11 pier sites remain. That loss does not remove the bridge from the port system; it changes the kind of visit. Alignment, surviving masonry, records and the relationship with Deji Gate preserve a transport node whose complete superstructure no longer exists.